The visual arts department fosters a creative environment which helps build self-esteem, a positive attitude, and self-confidence. The student is able to create a problem to be solved, select the medium, think creatively, use self-expression, evaluate and critique, and present and exhibit the art work. The Upper School studios are located in Richardson Hall, a facility equipped with four studios and a large gallery for exhibits and receptions. The studios are well equipped with all tools and materials for the student to master. Appropriately sized art studio classes provide students with individual attention from the art instructors.
An Upper School art club is available for students to join and expand ideas about art and includes trips to museums, colleges and universities, New York City and Sante Fe, New Mexico. Local artists come to the classes to demonstrate, lecture and give workshops in their specific mediums.The highlight of the school year is the festive Experience the Arts Day in the spring. The students are involved in this day-long demonstration of all areas of art in front of Richardson Hall.
A number of awards are received by the Upper School art students. They include:
- Scholastic Art Awards - Hallmark Blue Ribbon, American Vision Award, Gold
Key Awards and Silver Key Awards
- National Scholastic Art Awards - Kodak Medallion, drawing, photography,
ceramics and jewelry
- Atlanta Arts Festival - Best in Show for First, Second, Third and awards in
every area of art over past eleven years.
- Atlanta College of Art Drawing Competition
- Georgia High School Drawing Competition sponsored by SCAD-Atlanta
- Scholastic Photography Press Award
- University of Georgia School Art Symposium
- Savannah College of Art and Design International Art Competition and many
other local and national competitions and exhibits