Woodward’s Track & Field squads recently competed in the AAAAA State Championships at Carrollton High School. Both squads captured Region 3-AAAAA Championships this season and had numerous athletes qualify for the state meet.
The girls team turned in an outstanding performance capturing the 2021 AAAAA State Championship with 59.50 points, 6.5 points better than 2nd place St. Pius X. The title marks the third state championship in program history and the first since 2014. Savannah Simms captured the lone individual state title in the Triple Jump with a leap of 39-2.5. Also scoring points for Woodward were:
- Chelsea Williams, Dillyn Green, MacKenzie Moring, and Kenyah Conner: 2nd in the 4 x 400 in a school record time of 3:54.66
- Kenyah Conner: 2nd in the 800 (with a school record time of 2:14.91 in the prelims)
- Peyton Funderburk: 3rd in the Triple Jump and 5th in the Long Jump
- Molly Devinney: 3rd in the Pole Vault
- Savannah Simms: 4th in the 100M Hurdles and the 300M Hurdles
- MacKenzie Moring, Shristi Roy, Gabby Hill, and Kenyah Conner: 4th in the 4 x 800 in a school record time of 9:46.23
- MacKenzie Moring: 6th in the 400 with a PR of 59.03
The boys team finished 7th overall with 29.5 points. Alan "Taco" Wright won the State Championship in the 110M Hurdles in a school record time of 14.59 to capture the sole individual title for the boys. Also placing for Woodward in the boys competition were:
- Robert Joseph: 3rd in the Shot Put with a PR of 52-10.5
- Alan Wright: 3rd in the 300M Hurdles with a PR of 38.14 and 6th in the Long Jump
- Chris Parker: 6th in the 300M Hurdles with a PR of 38.94
- Christian Houston: 7th in the Pole Vault
Complete results for the state meet are available on the MileSplit website.
The 2021 season was a special one for the track and field teams. Both the girls and the boys won their 5th consecutive Region Championships. The boys team set three school records while the girls team set an astounding 12 school records. Congratulations to all of the athletes on the 2021 teams!