Congratulations to the Woodward Academy Class of 2020!
This class of 257 seniors will be one we forever remember, for how remarkable they have been in their humor, calm, and dedication in completing their final year amid a global pandemic, and for how much they accomplished in the face of such an unprecedented challenge.
Their outstanding academic, athletic, and cocurricular accomplishments have been as remarkable as they are numerous.
- More than $10.4 million in merit scholarships; 16 students recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation including 12 commended, three finalists, and one semifinalist.
- 50 students graduating summa cum laude, 38 students graduating magna cum laude, and 38 students graduating cum laude; one perfect ACT score; eight President’s Scholars; eight Dean’s Scholars.
- 172 competitive scholarship offers by colleges and universities; 166 anticipated HOPE Qualified Scholars including 24 Zell Miller Scholars; 10 University of Georgia Honors Program offers; a Meinig Family Cornell University National Scholar; the Howard University Scholarship; the California College of the Arts Creative Achievement Award; an Echols Scholar to the University of Virginia; the Washington University in St. Louis Mylonas Scholarship; the Agnes Scott College Elizabeth Kiss Trailblazer Scholarship; the Tulane University Founders Award; the Rochester Institute of Technology Presidential Scholarship; the Wofford College Scholars Program.
- State debate runners-up; debate champions at Carrollton and Alpharetta and runners-up at Montgomery Bell Academy, Westminster, and Johns Creek; two National Speech and Debate Association Academic All-Americans.
- Film student visits to Tyler Perry Studios and a virtual film festival; second place in Region and numerous awards at GHSA One Act Competition.
- Two invitations to perform in New York for dance ensemble.
- The first Boys Basketball State Championship, Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year, and McDonald's All-American in school history; five area/region athletic championships; 11 teams qualifying for state playoffs; one Wrestling Duals State Championship, one Wrestling Traditional State Championship; 23 athletes recruited to play at the college level; 12 teams in competition for regional championships or playoffs when the spring season was canceled.
- Regional Scholastic Art awards; placements at the 29th annual High School Atlanta Celebrates Photography Exhibit, the Woodward/Binders Art Exhibit, and the Atlanta High School Art Exhibit.
- Superior ratings from the Georgia Music Educators Association for choir and orchestra, 15 choir students in All State Chorus; Best in Class Band, Best in Class Color Guard, Best in Class Drumline, and Best in Class Drum Majors at the Stateline Showdown Marching Contest 2019; Best in Class Band and Best in Class Color Guard at the Hurricane Classic Marching Contest 2019; the Macy’s Great American Marching Band at the Thanksgiving Parade in New York City; the University of Georgia JanFest Honor Band; the GMEA District 5 Honor Band; GMEA All State Band.