- Health Forms
- ipad and e-book information
- Orientation For Parents
- First Day of School
- Supply List & Locker Dimensions
- Summer Math Requirements
- Summer Reading Requirements
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
8:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
This is a mandatory day for ALL 7th grade students and ALL NEW to WA 8th grade students.
Students should wear their school uniform.
Please be reminded that this day is for students only.
Buses and MARTA shuttles will run this day. Buses will depart at 3 p.m. Carpool riders may be picked up at 3 p.m.
Schedule on August 13 will include the following:
- Time in homeroom to get lockers.
- Classroom Portal set-up.
- iPad distribution and set-up.
- Mini-school day to find classes and meet teachers.
- Team-building activities with teachers and peer leaders.
When students arrive, they will go to their homeroom in the main Middle School building, Brand-Tucker. (The homeroom teacher’s name will be listed on the schedule your student receives in July.) Students may bring some of their books/supplies for their lockers. They will receive another copy of their schedule in homeroom.
- iPad Handbook, Insurance and Agreement: http://bit.ly/aboutWAMSipads
In order for students to receive their school-issued iPads, they must first:
- Review the 2019-2020 iPad Handbook above
- Decide to opt in/out of the WAMS iPad Insurance Program (link below)
- Complete and return the Student and Parent iPad Agreement
- Found on the last page of the WAMS 1:1 iPad Handbook
- Rising 7th/New-to-WA 8th: Due on Orientation Day, Tuesday 8/13
- Returning 8th: Due on the first day of school, Wednesday, 8/14
- WAMS iPad Insurance Opt In/Out Form: http://bit.ly/insureWAMSipad
An optional, but strongly recommended, iPad insurance program is offered by the WA Technology Department. The program is detailed in Section 10 of the 2019-2020 1:1 iPad Handbook. The completion of this online form is require, even if you opt out of the insurance program.
As a reminder, the insurance plan is an annual plan and must be purchased at the start of every school year. Deadline to enroll is September 13, 2019.
- WAMS eBook Purchase and Access Instructions: http://bit.ly/buyWAMSebooks
As part of our 1:1 program, several subject areas will be using eBooks in lieu of print textbooks this year. The use of eBooks allows for anytime, anywhere learning, a substantial reduction in textbook fees, and lessens the burden of transporting textbooks from class to class or home to school.
The graphics below highlights the overview of the eBook purchase / access process. The eBook Purchase and Access Instructions above provide step-by-step details.
VitalSource Bookshelf: used for digital textbooks.
Carefully follow the eBook Purchase and Access Instructions above to ensure that your child(ren)'s account(s) are set up correctly.
Middle School Parents Day
The Middle School Parents Day program is on Sunday, August 18, 2019 from 2 to 5 p.m. We know you are excited about the opportunity to meet your child’s teachers and hear about their classroom expectations.
In addition, we have provided some optional activities beginning at 1:00 p.m. that we feel will be helpful to you as a parent:
- Administrators, Counselors, and the Technology Specialist will speak to the parents about the Middle School experience -- for 7th and NEW to 8th grade parents. Topics will include an overview of the “Middle School Parent Survival Guide” as well as an iPad, Technology and PowerSchool Learning question and answer session.
Parents Day will be held rain or shine! Parents will be traveling to the Campfield Building and Richardson Hall for class visitations. You should bring rain gear if the weather is bad. This activity is for parents only. We ask that you not bring younger children. Parking is available in any of our campus lots; please do not park on streets with yellow or red-painted curbs.
Mutual benefits accrue when there is meaningful exchange of information between home and school. Therefore, we encourage each and every one of you to attend this special activity. We believe Parents Day can be both informative and entertaining.
- Middle School students purchase their books online via MBS Direct. Note that many subject areas will be using eBooks in lieu of print textbooks next year. Please see above iPad and eBook section for details.
- A few textbooks for Middle School will be available only at the Woodward Campus Store. The textbook Web site at MBS Direct will provide that information.
- MBS Direct will offer free shipping July 6-13 and August 1-7 with a minimum purchase of $99. Please note, we recommend placing your order as soon as you can to avoid potential backorder issues for last minute orders.
- Many of the Middle School books are available used through the Parent Community Consignment Shop.