- ipad and e-book information
- Orientation For Parents
- First Day of School
- Supply List & Locker Dimensions
- Summer Math Requirements
- Summer Reading Requirements
Student medical records must be submitted by July 2, 2018, or the student will not be permitted to attend the first day of school. Visit the Parent Portal to update student medical records for 2018-2019.
Friday, August 10, 2018
8:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
This is a mandatory day for ALL 7th grade students and ALL NEW to WA 8th grade students.
Students should wear their school uniform. Please be reminded that this day is for students only.
Buses and MARTA shuttles will run this day. Buses will depart from Main Campus at 3:15 p.m. Carpool riders may be picked up at 3 p.m.
Schedule on August 10 will include the following:
- Time in homeroom to get lockers.
- Classroom Portal set-up.
- iPad distribution and set-up.
- Mini-school day to find classes and meet teachers.
- Opportunity to learn about sports and clubs options.
- Team-building activities with teachers and peer leaders.
When students arrive, they will go to their homeroom in the main Middle School building, Brand-Tucker. (The homeroom teacher’s name will be listed on the schedule your student receives in July.) Students may bring some of their books/supplies for their lockers. They will receive another copy of their schedule in homeroom.
- 2018-2019 WAMS 1:1 iPad Handbook, Insurance and Agreement
In order for students to receive their school-issued iPads, they must first:
- Review the 2018-2019 iPad Handbook above
- Decide to opt in/out of the WAMS iPad Insurance Program (below)
- Complete and return the Student and Parent iPad Agreement
- Found on the last page of the WAMS 1:1 iPad Handbook
- Rising 7th/New-to-WA 8th: Due on Orientation Day, Friday, 8/10
- Returning 8th: Due on the first day of school, Monday, 8/13
An optional, but strongly recommended, iPad insurance program is offered by the WA Technology Department. The program is detailed in Section 10 of the 2018-2019 1:1 iPad Handbook.
As a reminder, the insurance plan is an annual plan and must be purchased at the start of every school year. Deadline to enroll is September 14, 2018.
Several subject areas will be using eBooks in lieu of print textbooks this year. Student iPads contain two apps that will provide access to this digital content:
The graphics below highlights the overview of the eBook purchase / access process. The eBook Purchase and Access Instructions above provide step-by-step details.
- VitalSource Bookshelf: used for digital textbooks.
- Kindle: used for digital novels in English and some Literature classes
Carefully follow the eBook Purchase and Access Instructions above to ensure that your child(ren)'s account(s) are set up correctly.
Middle School Parents Day
The Middle School Parents Day program is on Sunday, August 19, 2018 from 2 to 5 p.m. We know you are excited about the opportunity to meet your child’s teachers and hear about their classroom expectations.
In addition, we have provided some optional activities beginning at 1:00 p.m. that we feel will be helpful to you as a parent:
- Administrators, Counselors and the Technology Specialist will speak to the parents about the Middle School experience -- for 7th and NEW to 8th grade parents. Topics will include an overview of the “Middle School Parent Survival Guide” as well as an iPad, Technology and PowerSchool Learning question and answer session.
Parents Day will be held rain or shine! Parents will be traveling to the Campfield Building and Richardson Hall for class visitations. You should bring rain gear if the weather is bad. This activity is for parents only. We ask that you not bring younger children. Parking is available in any of our campus lots; please do not park on streets with yellow or red-painted curbs.
Mutual benefits accrue when there is meaningful exchange of information between home and school. Therefore, we encourage each and every one of you to attend this special activity. We believe Parents Day can be both informative and entertaining.
- Middle School students purchase their books online via MBS Direct. Note that many subject areas will be using eBooks in lieu of print textbooks next year. Please see above iPad and eBook section for details.
- MBS Direct is offering FREE shipping to families July 10-16, 2018.
- For novels, students will be using the Kindle App on their iPads. Books should be purchased through Amazon Kindle Store. Please see the Kindle Information PDF for more information.
- A few textbooks for Middle School will be available only at the Woodward Campus Store. The textbook Web site at MBS Direct will provide that information.
Many of the Middle School books are available used through the Parent Community Consignment Shop.