Keeping student safety and health paramount, P.E. teachers use their discretion in determining if students should remove their protective face covering depending on the ability for physical distancing as well as the level of aerobic or anaerobic activity. In addition to the general safety protocols, the following guidelines are implemented in all P.E. classes:
- Students in grades PK to 8 do not dress out for P.E.
- Teachers plan outdoor classes and activities whenever possible weather permitting.
- Personal water bottles are allowed and recommended but must not be shared at any time.
- Teachers avoid activities that require physical contact between students.
- Teachers refrain from having students exercise on yoga or gymnastics mats or similar structures.
- When face coverings need to be removed in class, they are slid under a student’s chin and not taken off completely.
- P.E. teachers spray and wipe down sports equipment with disinfectant after each class.
- The weight room and all elementary playground equipment is off-limits for P.E. classes until further notice.